Thursday, June 4, 2009

Chicken and Stuffing

This recipe is like an old-fashioned comfort food. I don't usually like any recipe that requires me to cook the meat first, but this is well worth it...Enjoy!

Chicken and Stuffing

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup (you can use 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of chicken, if you want)
1 package (12 ounces) seasoned stuffing mix (plus ingredients to prepare mix)

Put first 3 ingredients into a large plastic bag. (like a Ziploc gallon bag). Zip and mix up. Add chicken to bag, zip and shake to coat chicken.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Place in crockpot and pour soup over chicken.

Prepare stuffing per package direction (decrease liquid by half). Sprinkle stuffing over chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours.

*If you are cooking the chicken all day (6 to 8 hours on LOW), then I would not put the stuffing on the chicken until later. I would wait, mix up the stuffing per package directions (leaving the liquid as you would normally) and sprinkle over chicken for the last 30 minutes.

**I also have made the chicken per these directions and kept the stuffing out of the crock pot all together. I make the stuffing per package directions just before I am ready to serve dinner. When I serve this, I will put a piece of chicken on the plate, pour some gravy (sauce that is in the crockpot) over the chicken and then put a scoop of stuffing over that...

Enjoy and Happy Slow Cooking!

2 comments:

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

I like chicken, and especially enjoy easy recipe..Thanks Brenda!

Brenda said...

Hi Icy...Seeing that I can't cook, the easier the recipe the more likely I will fix it...and how much easier can you be than the crockpot! Thanks for joining Hazel's Kitchen..HUGS!!!