- Save your coffee cans, canned vegetable cans, use the loaf pan you all ready have, etc. Any 1, 2 or 3 pound coffee or nut can or any metal mold that holds 4, 8 or 12 cups. (copper gelatin molds, baking pans, etc.) can be used...
- Grease insert or can with solid vegetable shortening.
- Only half fill the insert or can. This allows for rising.
- Heat needs to be able to circulate around the insert. If a baking rack isn't available, crumple up enough aluminum foil to raise the can about an inch from the bottom of the crockpot.
- If there is not lid, cover the can with a double thickness of paper towels.(about 8 paper towels)
- Place lid on crockpot for baking...the lid will hold the paper towels in place.
- Generally, baking is done on high heat, but you should follow the recipe instructions.
- Only lift lid to check for doneness. (usually in the last hour) Lifting the lid too often will let necessary heat escape.
- Use pot holders or folded paper towels to remove can or insert from crock pot.
Happy Slow Cooking! Enjoy!